Friday, September 08, 2006


I DIDN'T HAVE MUCH TIME to work on this week's submission, so I just did a portrait of Lion-O, the leader of my favorite childhood cartoon, Thundercats. I updated him a little bit, got rid of those pansy sideburn poofs he had, but essentially he's the same. I'd like to do another, more involved piece in the future, maybe featuring all the characters. A guy can dream.

I love this series. If you look back at my "When I Grow Up..." piece, you'll notice I have a Thundercats sweatband on my right wrist, which I actually own (and am wearing right now, in fact). In my opinion, this show features by far the best opening animation of any cartoon series of the '80s, possibly even the best ever. Feel free to disagree.

Anyways, enjoy! Thunder, thunder, thunder, Thundercats, HO!

M

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Sup, Bock!? Diggin' yer Lion-0hhhh...... Great jaw line. You re-did him well. If you ended up having time, I think we'd all love to see your treatment of the other characters.
P.S. I'm still lovin' that "When I grow up" piece. We're headed to Disneyland in a couple of weeks and that piece still makes me pause and think for a minute or two. Keep it up!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Ian Simmons said...

Man, Lion-O looks pissed! I think he would've rather had the poofy sideburns! Nice and menacing, just the way I like it. Now, show me the Mum-Ra!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah - Mum-Ra would indeed rock.

This must be lion-O's class picture or something. Always such a serious leader. Probably thinking about exactly which way to kick Mum-Ra's ass.

Great take - I love seeing these iconic characters done by different artists.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

WOW! Lots of Lion-o fans here! Woohoo! LOOOOOVE this rendition of him, awesome!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Jav said...

No question that its the best intro.... far and away...
Take a look at the old TMNT intro too... one of my personal faves. Theres a nice Michealangelo shot, and a nice Splinter shot...
But none as sweet as that Lino-O shot...
Thundercats HO BITCH!

5:51 PM  
Blogger K.B. said...

Really nice Marsh.

6:35 PM  
Blogger boob said...

No argument here. ThunderCats and I almost fergot 'bout TMNT - tight intros to say the least.

I always wondered why the cats had little lines going down from their eyes. Kinda clownish ya know? Just a stylistic thing I guess.

Great take Marshall. The flaming hair is still toally 80s with how it's combed to the side.

I'd love to see a Mum-ra though. That's one freaky freak.

1:18 AM  
Blogger eshwaaz said...

Lion-O never seemed intimidating to me until now - he looks ready to tear someone's head off. Another nice piece, Marshall!

And no arguments from me regarding the intro - I watched it countless times as a teen, frame-by-frame, trying to learn.

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home