Friday, September 08, 2006


Man...I spent the last 2 long nights racking my brain over Lion-o's pose here. I killed a lotta trees with this one. And the one I'm happy with the most is quite possibly the most generic pose I drew. I made it a challenge for myself to try something comic booky and get back to some anatomy. I really wanted something more dynamic and I had several overhead-swing-type poses but the arms and hands and keeping the face and mane visible were things I was struggling with. Actually went to look up some muscles that didn't end up in this lame-o pose anyway. I did have fun pushing some of his proportions. He ended up reminding me of a wrestler - kinda like King from Tekken. I'd like to tighten it up and add some color but it's really hard to continue when the vision in my head was so much different. I'll see if I can salvage it over the weekend.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger K.B. said...

Quit honestly Bob i think this is ready to go for color. The frame is all there. You can add shadow and muscle in the color stage. Although i think this would look cooler without too much nooodleeegook. You can tell he's buff. You don't need the Rob Liefeld million lines to feel that.Good stuff.

10:36 AM  
Blogger boob said...

yes yes - agreed. I don't want to overload it. The lines here are about all that I want. Liefeld and his noodleeegook can stay home...forever.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Bob,

I was also thinking more "comicbook" when I approached the subject. Maybe comics just make you think back to fond childhood memories. Anyway, whatever becomes of Lion-O here, I'll be anxious to see!

Also, If you'd like to answer the Buzz Off question, please go ahead. It may be too obscure for anyone but He-dorks like us.

11:20 AM  
Blogger boob said...

Whiplash. Whiplash shared the same torso as Buzz-Off. Who'd a thunk a bee and a croc-o-lizard could share the same stripey chest?

11:36 AM  
Blogger Greg Scherrer said...

Mostly I think it's working pretty well, Bob. If you don't mind a little criticism, I feel like the straight across, flat line of the belt isn't matching the plane his feet are on. I think either wrapping the belt around the form, or stretching out that far leg a bit would help a lot. Hope that makes sense. Overall though, I'm liking the look of it a lot. Feel free to criticize my stuff too, if I ever get off my lazy ass and submit something.

1:29 PM  
Blogger boob said...

Right-o Greg - somethin' I hopefully woulda caught when cleaning up.

Thanks for the encouragement in general peeps. I think I have an idea for the coloring that should at least be fun and maybe there's still some life in here somewhere.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

great drawing, I think it would look particularly awesome if you self-lined the final. Just my two cents though :-)

4:34 PM  
Blogger Jav said...

Yeah... murder....

5:56 PM  
Blogger eshwaaz said...

King from Tekken, indeed! That's the first thing I thought of when I saw your sketch. It's very cool to see you experimenting with a different style; I like the treatment of the lion face in particular. I'm anxious to see where your next step takes him.

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home