Friday, September 08, 2006



CLAWFUL and BUZZ OFF

Without a doubt, my favorite toy line of the 80's was Masters of the Universe. The colorful characters were immediately a draw for me, and although the cartoon sucked - the fun I had with the action figures could not be measured. It wasn't a hard choice to make for this week's theme, but to choose characters to draw was a challenge in itself. I decided on a good guy and a bad guy that were not too common to most people, but represent the fun of the toy line. BUZZ OFF and CLAWFUL were released in about the 3rd or 4th wave of figures. They share claw hands from the same mold (sharing parts is VERY common for original Masters of the Universe figures), and just because of that, I would make these guys fight a lot. I decided to draw representations of these guys based off the new toy/statue line because they look WAY cooler. I forget just how lame the 80's toys looked. Anyway, hope you like my interpretations. I also have a trivia question for everyone (except Bob). Which character shared the same torso as BUZZ OFF?

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Ian Simmons said...

Wow. That is so pop! I love this take on the characters, and it would be great to see an entire series of these; something along the lines of Warhol panels. Love it...

6:31 AM  
Blogger Phil G said...

Was it Torsoid? Either him or Beezy Body.

What have I won?

8:51 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Striking! I agree that a whole series of these would be amazing. I'd buy a set!!! Great take on the characters. I loved Man-E-Faces. Spin that head!!! Great job Dave.

9:26 AM  
Blogger K.B. said...

Cool graphic approach.

10:11 AM  
Blogger BoRo said...

I really dig the, somewhat monochromatic feel to them. Very dynamic.

10:34 AM  
Blogger eshwaaz said...

Very, very slick. The graphic style is pulled off perfectly - I can picture a full set of trading cards like this. Super cool images, Dave.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Greg Scherrer said...

These ought to be on the back of the packaging with all their stats, likes and dislikes, and a dotted line so I could cut them out for my Masters of the Universe data files. Nice look! I really like these.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Dave, these are freakin awesome! The graphic quality on both are fantastic, but I like Clawful the best :-D

4:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks All -

I also like the Clawful one better. Maybe just because he's cooler. I had higher hopes for Buzz Off - he was the second one I did, but I worked on these in tandum to try and maintain a similar look. I wouldn't mind trying to do a few more. Any suggestions on which characters you'd like to see?

4:57 PM  
Blogger Jav said...

Right on Dave! These are very nice... Love the whole comp. That Clawful design there is SWEET!

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Joe. Great job on the He-Man pics. I would like to see Two Bad, Whiplash, and Triclops.

It's great to see a fresh approach to your drawing style. It doesn't look to me like a "typical" Dave drawing, and yet you really excelled at it. Beautiful job!!

8:26 PM  
Blogger K.B. said...

Actually i like Buzz guy the best. I think it's much stronger.

9:43 PM  
Blogger boob said...

"Buzz Guy?" "Joe?" All sorts of name blunders up in here ;)

Clawful takes it for me Dave. He's easily my favorite character since they released the new sculpt. If he was my younger brother I'd make him do all the yard work with those giant clippers of his.

Wonderful approach to these though. I'm particularly fond of the border treatment too.

There's so many good characters - I don't know who to suggest if you were to do another. Big mouth Leech? Webstor is always cool. Robot-O? I could see them all making great trading cards.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Mark Geyer said...

Awesome - I look forward to your posts every week - great stuff...

10:41 AM  
Blogger Gnarfdeath said...

straight awesome!! great style, these are really cool, and I believe Buzz-Off shared the same torso as Whiplash, they had that striped torso goin' on.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Absolutely right! Whiplash and Buzz Off shared the same torso. They each had a feature that plugged into the back of the specially made torso mold. Buzz Off had wings and Wiplash had a rubber tail.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home