Friday, September 08, 2006


So anyway, He-Man is totally the bees knees when it comes to my fondest childhood memories, but somewhere around high school (they were re-airing them on Cartoon Network) I really started appreciating ThunderCats for everything the "man of He" wasn't. THEE BEST animated intro EVER and a coherent story with unified characters. Figured Lion-O was due for some props around here. Nothing can replace He-Man though.

This turned out completely different than I originally imagined but I'm pretty happy with it actually. Sumo Lion-O! I dunno - that pose and those proportions just kept reminding me of a wrestler and a few fun modifications helped push it. Disclaimer: I have no idea what the Kanji characters say and I didn't paint that backdrop - just ganked it from Google.

It was actually tough working throughout the day with this unsatisfied feeling about the sketch in the back of my head. Just wanted to work through it instead of the day job interrupting things :)

You guys have knocked out some great stuff I hafta say! Very inspiring to say the least. Brings a tear to my eye to see all these awful toons (let's face it - they were all horrible) turned into something much more entertaining.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Agree whole-heartedly with Jeff. Really nice color design on this! And I love the new spin on your original piece! Thundercats Hoooooooo!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

HAHAHAHA I just noticed the "Ho." in the BG! Nice touch

7:33 AM  
Blogger dex mission said...

This is awesome.

1:13 PM  
Blogger K.B. said...

Bob !! This was an excellent direction to have taken this. I love it !!!!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice suprise. And Kudos for giving the proper cred to Google. Maybe someday You'll do a little watercolor piece similar to that.

Great added details, and I wasn't sure exactly what to think of this Lion-O, but I really dig him. (Make sure you enlarge the image everybody). The face is pretty cool; more "lion" than "O" in this interpretation.

The overlaping lines adds a nice quality to the overall presentation.

Now post this on the same site where they comment on the new movie design of Optimus Prime.

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home