Tuesday, January 30, 2007

DA BEARS!


Not as original as I coulda gone with the mascot topic, but I'm totally stoked about the SUPERBOWL! Can you stand it!?

I'm a little let down by my color choices here though. I love orange, so that's not the problem - but maybe the bear coulda been more red or brown or something and the green grass and blue sky are pretty standard blah. I tried a lot of weird things and hot colors but I kept coming back to the colors of football in my mind.

Early on I intended on having the bear plowing through actual horses (colts) in jerseys. All my horses were very flat and posing them was a pain - those back legs always give me trouble. It was just easier to doodle up a buncha flailing bodies.

Some horrible, horrible, God awful warm up doodles up on my
blog again.

In closing:

"Who would win in a fight: God or Ditka?"
"Trick question Bob. Ditka is God. Daaaa Bears!"
-- The Superfans.

PS - Brent Walker? Are you out there? Where's your Betty Page???? Hello? A glimpse of a picture of your drawing on your cell phone doesn't cut it bucko. Are you listening to me?? Hello???

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Ian Simmons said...

Don't be so hard on yourself! I LOVE this picture. When I first opened the site, I thought this was a watercolor cartoon, and that feeling still holds up when looking at the thumbnail. I think you nailed the colors, and as for the concept not being dynamic or original enough, I thing this is a fine work that captures your team spirit. Not every composition has to be a page-buster. I think the lower-right corner is ripe for a logo or exclamation of some kind; that's how slick this pic is. Rex would be proud...

4:03 AM  
Blogger boob said...

Thanks Ian. Re-reading it and I guess I do sound hard on myself but it's not intentional. Just me psycho analyzing things. It was definitely fun to draw and I'm reading for the Superbowl now!

Bears: 217

Colts: 3

5:25 AM  
Blogger David said...

I did work on a piece for this topic, but nothing like this!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Amazing. I love the scale and colors. You knocked it out of the park.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Edward said...

I love it man! Awesome-ass drawing!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Seraya Fulton said...

Yet again, I am jealous of the colors that you use. I love how the bear is of an orange color. I think if it would have been more brown or red it would have captured the essence of the bears colors. I also agree with the little colts(losers) men instead of horses because this illustrates how our team is going to become ANIMALS on sunday and charge the colts puny little BUTTS!!! GO BEARS!!!! Umm...awesome picture.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Gnarfdeath said...

awesome work! I love the grittyness of the Bear and the poses of the football players flying all over the place.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Seraya Fulton said...

I meant if you were to use more reds or browns it would NOT have captured the essence of the Bears colors. Sorry, I was so excited.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

I can almost here him grunting as he does away with the competition (if you can call it that).

thump, Thump, THUMP! Here he comes!!!!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Dan Segarra said...

Bob! I'm not a football fan... not really a Bears fan even though they're in the Super Bowl... but MAAAAN! This illustration is GREAT!!!

...and you know how I feel about that Ditka joke.

Go Bulls!

- dan

11:42 PM  
Blogger E said...

Sweet! I'm a big fan of your style; sketchy and rough in the right places, nice and tight in the, well, other right places.

I'm in agreement that the small, puny humans have worked better than a gaggle of horses. Helps make the presonification of the Bears' mascot that much more interesting and meaningful.

And I'm not even really all that into football.

Go RED WINGS!!!

(Please, don't kick me outta' the club for that...please!)

1:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like it!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, this is great.

I didn't even think of making a mascot bear so tough looking - I was just thinking about "goofy" mascots.

I sure wish the bears could have played that way tonight.

Anyway, I like the detail in the bear's clothing and fur texture. The colors are sharp and the poses of all the characters have strong appeal. Looks like all the time and work getting the right idea on paper paid off once again.

11:51 PM  
Blogger K.B. said...

AWESOME BOBBY !!

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home