Friday, September 29, 2006

This actually took some time...

I took this opportunity to have fun and try to recapture what it was like to draw pictures as a kid. Step one was to look at Brad's past drawings and I try to emulate his style. I really tried to think about what he was thinking when he draws - that's really the only way. I still went through several rough concepts just like any other drawing. I tried holding the pencil up high by the eraser in an effort to lose some control. I tried drawing with a clenched fist. I tried drawing with my left hand. In the end you gotta put your whole understanding of drawing aside. It's a pretty fun mindset...I just wouldn't want to live there ;)


So this is a jungle. The snake has eaten a tap dancing mouse. See if you can spot all the animals:

- snake with a mouse in his belly
- bluejay
- cardinal
- 2 bears
- possum


And this is a monkey chasing a tap dancing banana. In the sketch I had a tiger too but tigers and monkeys hate each other so I left him out in the color version. And painting it up was very free. Still a lot of decisions to make.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger K.B. said...

The color combo is fun.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Did you know that Jeff had the same idea? Monkeys and bananas are mortal enemies so I guess it's not too uncomon to have them face off.

The color work is exquisite!

I also had fun evaluating the kid drawing on Friday. I see it really does take a lot of thought to pull off a kid drawing. Of note: the snake's mouth and eye are great touches to pull off the look of a kid's work of art. I'd like to try doing one again with more effort sometime.

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home