Friday, August 18, 2006



"Magic Stick"


A stick can be anything to a child, and this child is ready to lead his knights to victory.


I drew the above at the tail end of lunch yesterday.

Intro to Me: I'm a programmer by trade, but I enjoyed drawing when I was younger. I was self-taught, never followed the "draw circles and boxes" rules in those learn-how-to-draw books, and created stories and the illustrations to go with them. I used to draw the people in my grade school, and it was amazing how well they turned out. The drawings, not the people. I don't know how the people turned out.

I took drawing and painting in high school. I never could get the hang of charcoal. I still have some of my drawings somewhere in my parents' basement.

Fast forward, I graduated with a BS in computer science, taking a few 3D programming courses. So if you need someone to use bezier curves or quaternions to animate your works of art, I can do that, but I'm still learning how to use the Gimp and Blender myself to create things. I was able to follow a Photoshop tutorial in the Gimp to create a cool space scene, though. Yes, there were lens flares, but I'm not ashamed. I didn't know better.

I'm out of practice, and it shows. I joined the club because I want to get back into drawing again. You don't know how many times I wanted to hit CTRL-Z with my pencil.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger boob said...

A real-life programmer doin' art? Welcome aboard!

I like that your guy is wearing a kicker's helmet. Safety is always a concern when going into battle.

Also, I just used a couple lens flares the other day and so far I feel no shame.

9:56 AM  
Blogger K.B. said...

love the helmet. Nice touch

10:11 AM  
Blogger Gianfranco said...

Thanks, guys. When I was little I used to draw castles and anything Medieval. And when you have a stick, it can be a sword pulled out of a rock, and a piece of cardboard can be a shield.

I never owned a football helmet, though. I had to improvise with a deflated basketball.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The drawing has charm. I feel like i'm caught in the moment of this boy's life - and the other things around him are kept at bay by the power of the stick.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Darryl Young said...

Glad you got your pencil moving, look forward to more.

3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home