Sunday, November 12, 2006

Powerhouse scribbles

This was pretty challenging for me. I listened to a few selections from "Reckless Nights and Turkish Twilights" by Raymond Scott when doodling these scribbles. The music is instrumental and very visual. With song titles like "The Girl At The Typewriter" or "Dinner Music For A Pack Of Hungry Cannibals" it's hard not to let your imagination run wild - which is probably why he worked so well with animation. If you're interested here's a link to amazon.

So here's what I spat out:


This makes me think of a cyclops that's wondered into a graffiti filled alley.


And this alludes to some sort of pullution taking over and the domino fella has no choice but stand to the side with the clean air.

I was just playing with different media and trying to "feel" the music. I imagined that the scribbles would be more coherent however. I was hoping people looking at this mess could actually see the timing and practically imagine the music. I guess in an attempt to "illustrate" a whole song on one 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper everything runs together :) I seriously had a hard time imaging these lines as anything but a mess in the end. There was a buncha scribbles I did spanning multiple sheets of papaer taped together and I did kinda think the white sqaure shapes where the tape was reminded me of dominos for some reason. That's where that came from. Layering all the scribbles together inspired some other thoughts like graffiti or pollution. So it was definitely an attempt at something more abstract.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger CryptKicker said...

You really got into this, and it's really cool to see the outcome. I'm familiar with Scott's music, so it may not be fair, but it does conjure those tunes into my head in a swirling frenetic way.
Huzah to you, Mr. Boob, says I, the silent spectator, for giving so much to this topic.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the variety in medium, and the domino guy gives it a purpose. Anytime I see character, I like it more than just shapes. Was the scribble all to the same song repeated over and over? It's pretty cool to see all the lines overlapping.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Ian Simmons said...

Way to run with the assignment! I would say that the doodles are strong enough without the inclusion of the tape character, but he adds a great Pop touch that makes me think this could be a cool album cover.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home