Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Old Castle




The music I picked is The Old Castle, movement #4 from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. I guess I chose an easy target, considering that Pictures is basically a suite of pieces about paintings done by a friend of the composer. So, visual hints abound. Still, Mussorgsky knew his stuff. The song is slow, in a minor key, and is pretty sparse and dirge-like. Bassoons drone across the bottom like planks. Basses plunk now and then like load-bearing columns, all of which is background for a now-and-then saxophone melody that sounds nearly off key. It sounds tired and crooked. If dust had a theme song, this would be it.

Link to a sample at amazon for the curious. track four.
http://www.amazon.com/Mussorgsky-Pictures-Exhibition-Night-Mountain/dp/B0000025JN/sr=8-3/qid=1163533179/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/104-8633912-4711149?ie=UTF8&s=music

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger boob said...

I like your scribbles a lot Phil. Systematic - all the squares and notches. Somethin' I didn't think about. The painterly castle is quite nice too - Like we should see it in a gallery.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think you drew megatron. ;)

Anyway, I like the painted colors here. Nice tones.

None of the songs I listened to inspired any straight lines. Hmm. It seems like a very concious decision. Did you try any songs that produced wavy lines? I find it all very interesting.

If you had to do this exercise on an Etch-a-sketch, I think you may have gotten similar results.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Phil G said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Phil G said...

What seems forced and unnatural to you may be the easiest thing in the world for someone else.

Thanks for the imput.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Ian Simmons said...

I would hang this in my house, no question...

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home