Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Little Mermaid


One of my favorite books growing up was The Little Mermaid (Hans Christian Andersen). In the original version, the little mermaid wants to live forever and have a soul- but mermaids can only obtain a soul by marrying a human. In this version, the prince ends up marrying another woman and the mermaid is doomed to turn into foam and die after the marriage because of the spell. But, her sisters make a deal with the sea witch: the mermaid must kill the prince with the witch's knife before sunrise to save her life. Instead of murdering him, she throws herself into the ocean and turns into foam. Then, she finds herself joining other spirits in the sky and discovers she can win a soul.

I loved that book in gradeschool- probably more so for the illustrations than the story. So, I didn't want to miss the opportunity to draw this. Catherine really helped me out at the end, adjusting the color and light.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful work. The vibrant color is makes it powerful, and catches my attention. Discovering the horror of the drowned figure below is a nice suprise!

2:44 AM  
Blogger boob said...

Some Romeo and Juliet mixed in there? I guess a lot of nursery rhymes were tragedies come to think of it. Nice colors too. I like all that lighting hitting her.

2:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home