Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Week 22: 8 Legs to VICTORY!

In 1958, when a team in the NHL had to win 2, best-of-7 series to take home the Stanley Cup a couple guys had the bright idea to throw a dead octopus on the ice at the first game of the first serires. The guys were staunch Detroit Red Wings fans. The eight legs of the octopus symbolized the eight games that Detroit would have to win to own the Stanley Cup for the first time. Low and behold Detroit swept both series that year, winning eight games straight. Ever since, the "unofficial" mascot of the team has been the Dead Octopus.


I've drawn the unfortunate Thought-It-Was-Dead-But-Was-Only-Unconscious Octopus during his fall to the ice (where he would most likely be smacked about with a hocky stick and then flipped into the trash). Just a sketch here, but I'm so far behind I needed to get something posted before I loose the very little steam I've been able to build up so far. I may finish it off in the next few days, but I seriously need to pimp my ride and then get back to fighting fires some 40 million years ago (seriously, I'm such a dork).

Enjoy!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger boob said...

Nice little history lesson too. I wish their official mascot was a dead octopus! A funny, but morbid, idea if you imagine them on jerseys and hats.

2:59 PM  
Blogger boob said...

Just a funny thought while lookin' at this one again:

The way you drew the folds and curves in the octopus tentacles reminds me of lasagna... Deliciously wobbly noodles! :)

6:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like how it looks like the Octopus is falling backwards - like someone pushed him down some stairs!

8 legs and still not enough to break his fall :)

2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home